SUBMISSIONS

Submissions are accepted on a regular basis, year-round.
Can include, short stories, essays, poetry and prose.
Must not exceed 3,000 words.
Must be written by a current ESA student, or alumni.
Submissions are accepted: e.s.say.says@gmail.com

Monday 16 October 2017

By: Elysse Shirley

when I am happy
I feel so light
I fear that I may float away
so I breathe deeply
hoping the air in my lungs
will be enough
to keep me on the ground
--

quite often
I find myself wondering
what it would be like if
I just stopped.
I also wonder
what mighty courage
that would take

--

I wonder if anybody would miss me
or if I’d just continue as a ghost of a memory
as a foreign feeling in their spine when someone mentions my name
or if I’d just become a question
  • if I dropped off planet earth

--

are you okay?
what’s wrong?
why won’t you tell me?
and then they’re gone.
  • what they say

--

always lurking
always watching
constantly searching
for you to lose
  • what they do

--

always present and creeping
mouths with broken switches
minds with broken glitches
never here, but always leaving
  • how they are

--

water droplets fall softly
floating down your cheeks
they were crafted perfectly
derived from the corners from your mind
mined from the corners of your eyes
noiselessly being swept away
by a shirt sleeve
or tissues quiet like clouds
  • tears like helium balloons



No comments:

Post a Comment